County Clare Steak with Murphy's
Stout and Potatoes
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) boneless beef steak or lean pot roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 8 ounces frozen or fresh pearl onions (see note)
- 3/4 cup stout
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock (defatted)
- Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 bouquet garni (several sprigs of fresh parsley, thyme and bay leaf, bundled in cheesecloth)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, washed and cut into thick slices
- 8 ounces large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- Garnish: Fresh thyme sprigs
- Trim beef of any excess fat and cut into 4 pieces. Heat oil and 1 tablespoon
butter in large, heavy Dutch oven. Brown meat on both sides, and remove from pan
and set aside.
- Add pearl onions to pan and brown 3 to 4 minutes. Return steak to pot, pour in
stout and beef stock, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add bouquet garni and sliced potatoes. Cover and simmer over low heat 1 hour.
- Add sliced mushrooms, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove meat and vegetables
with slotted spoon and place on warmed, deep-rimmed serving platter. Reserve liquid.
Cover meat and vegetables with foil and keep in warm oven (200 degrees F).
- Melt remaining butter in 2-quart saucepan and add flour to make a roux. Cook
until bubbly and golden, whisking roux constantly. Slowly stir in reserved cooking
liquid, and cook until thickened. Whisk in mustard, taste and adjust seasonings.
Pour over meat and vegetables, garnish with thyme and serve.
Yield: 4 large servings
If using fresh pearl onions, place in large bowl and cover with boiling
water. Let soak 5 minutes, then drain. Skins should peel away easily.
Source: County Clare - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
>> RESTAURANT RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.