Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Chicken Casserole
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Cornbread: Mix all except melted butter together in mixing bowl until smooth.
- Pour into greased 8-inch square baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 - 25
minutes until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- When cool, crumble cornbread and place 3 cups of cornbread crumbs in mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup melted butter to crumbs and mix well, set aside
- Chicken Filling: In saucepan on medium low heat, place butter and sauté onion
and celery until transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, cream of
chicken soup, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended and soup is dissolved completely.
- Add chicken; stir and blend until mixture reaches a low simmer. Cook for 5 minutes,
then remove from heat.
- Place chicken mixture in buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole dish
or individual casserole dishes (about four ). Spoon cornbread crumb topping on top
of chicken mixture; do not stir into chicken filling.
- Place baking dish in preheated
oven at 350 degrees F for 35 - 40 minutes. The crumbs will turn a golden yellow.
A side order of country green beans or salad makes for a hearty meal.