Cracker Barrel Old Country Store
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 ounces pecan pieces
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup packaged shredded coconut
Dumplings and Caramel Sauce
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar - packed
- Sugared Pecans: In small skillet combine butter and oil over medium-low heat;
add pecan pieces. Stir only till heated and barely bubbly. Sprinkle with sugar.
Stir briskly only till sugar dissolves, on low heat, AS THESE BURN QUICKLY! Work
fast. Dump them into paper towel-lined plate. Spread out to cool while you prepare
- Plumped Raisins: In small saucepan combine raisins and boiling water. Cover pan
with lid 20 minutes. Drain and discard water. Add shredded coconut to raisins.
- Dumplings: In Dutch oven combine water and 1/2 cup sugar. Bring to boil. While
you wait for that to boil, combine in medium bowl, Bisquick, milk, 1 tablespoon
sugar, stirring with fork to moisten thick dough.
- When water comes to boil, drop dough by rounded tablespoonful into boiling water,
making about 14 dumplings. Cover pan with lid. Simmer dumplings very gently 20 minutes.
- Uncover and let cook another 10 minutes gently. Baste often in the liquid,
which is now becoming thickened and creamy looking. Remove pan from heat. With slotted
spoon remove HALF of dumplings to greased 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with
pecans and raisins/coconut. Arrange rest of dumplings over that. Set aside. Make
- Caramel Sauce: Strain remaining liquid into heavy 2 1/2-quart saucepan. Bring
to boil. Stir constantly. Add light brown sugar, stirring vigorously over medium-heat
until it boils briskly, 2 or 3 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved and
sauce drops from spoon in large drops rather than like water. It should be the consistency
of smooth gravy.
Spoon sauce over dumplings filling dish right to the rim. Cool 15 minutes. Cover;
refrigerate to serve within few days. Microwave warm servings or use cold with
a scoop of ice cream on top of each.
Yield: 6 servings