Dayton's Marketplace Apple Salad with Maytag Blue Cheese
2 cups orange juice
2 tablespoons Marketplace Balsamic Vinegar
chopped red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
3/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into eighths
1 head curly
endive, washed, torn into pieces
1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted
Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- Place orange juice in small nonreactive pan over high heat. Bring to a boil
and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 35-40 minutes. Can be made 2-3 days
in advance, and refrigerated.
- Place orange reduction, Marketplace Balsamic Vinegar, onion, and jalapeno
in a food processor fitted with metal blade, process until smooth. With the
motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified. Add the honey, salt
and pepper, process 2 seconds.
- Heat 3/4 cup of the orange vinaigrette in a medium skillet over medium high
heat. Add the apples, and saute until golden brown, turning until just cooked
through, 2-3 minutes. Remove to plate and cool to room temperature. Can be made
a day in advance, covered in refrigerator, bring to room temperature before
- Place endive in mixing bowl, toss with 4 tablespoons of the remaining orange
vinaigrette, season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Pour remaining
vinaigrette into squeeze bottle, if desired.
- Divide endive among 4 salad plates. Arrange 4 apple slices on each plate,
garnish with pecans and Maytag blue cheese.
- Drizzle with remaining orange vinaigrette.
Source: kare11.com - Chef Sue Erickson, Dayton's Marketplace