Dinosaur Barbecue Oven-Roasted Mojito Chicken
Just made this for dinner, it was excellent.
- 1 chicken (3 1/2 pounds or so), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup Mojito Marinade (see below)
- 1 large onion, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley or cilantro
The Mojito Marinade
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- The Chicken: Spread the chicken out in a baking dish and pour marinade over
chicken, marinate 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scatter onion slices over bottom of a roasting pan, put in chicken skin
side up. Pour remaining marinade over chicken and onions. Roast for 1 hour and
15 minutes, until chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Lift chicken out of pan and arrange on a serving dish, spoon onions and
pan juices over chicken, sprinkle with parsley and lime wedges.
- The Mojito Marinade: Mix together garlic, onions, orange and lime juice.
Heat oil in large saucepan until almost smoking, now be careful (wear your oven
mitts!) and slide the mixture into the hot oil simmer for 5 minutes until garlic
and onion are soft. Season marinade with rest of ingredients. Pour everything
into a blender or food processor and pulse three times. Cool to room temperature.
Makes 2 1/2 cups. Keeps for two weeks in fridge.
I served this over white rice cooked as follows:
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup long grain rice
- Combine water, salt, olive oil and garlic and bring to a boil. Add rice
and cook covered (simmer) for about 20 minutes or until not too moist.
I know this seems like a lot of work, but the marinade and chicken use almost
the same ingredients.
Posted by Don at Recipe Goldmine 11/1/2001 6:20 pm.
Source: Dinosaur Barbecue - Syracuse, New York