Disney's Contemporary Resort Bread Pudding
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 day-old challah
bread or other egg bread (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine,
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in cup.
- Toss bread, melted butter, raisins and cinnamon-sugar mixture in large bowl
to coat. Spread in prepared pan.
- Whisk eggs lightly in large bowl. Bring cream, remaining 1 cup sugar and
vanilla bean to boil in medium saucepan.
- Carefully remove vanilla bean; cool
slightly. Scrape seeds from bean with small spoon. Stir seeds into cream mixture.
- Gradually whisk cream mixture into eggs; pour over bread.
dish in large roasting pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up side of
- Bake pudding for 35 to 40 minutes, until custard is set and top is
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped
cream, if desired.
Posted by Gayle at Recipe Goldmine 7/25/2001 9:35 pm.
Source: Ladies Home Journal March 1998 - Disney's Contemporary Resort, Orlando,