El Torito Banana Loca Tropical
- 2 baked plantains
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 teaspoon toasted coconut
- 18 ounces Haagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche ice cream
- 6 ounces warmed Cajeta Rum Sauce
- 3 ounces or about 1/2 cup Sweet Tortilla Chips
- 1 1/2 ounces or 3 tablespoons whipped cream
- 6 mint sprigs
- Powdered sugar, as needed
- 6 fluid ounces Cajeta, see note
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 ounce or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon rum
Sweet Tortilla Strips
- 3 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dessert: Cut plantains into 1/4-inch slices on an angle. Lightly sauté plantains with
butter and brown sugar; do not allow to get too mushy.
- Spread plantains over center of plate, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon coconut and top
with about 1/2 cup of ice cream. Mound a few Sweet Tortilla Strips over plantains
and ice cream. Pipe whipped cream onto left side of ice cream, and garnish with
mint. Sprinkle powdered sugar over entire plate. Serve with Cajeta-Rum Sauce
- Cajeta Rum Sauce: Place ingredients in saucepan and heat over low flame, stirring
constantly, until hot.
- Sweet Tortilla Strips: Slice tortillas into 3 x 1/8-inch strips and deep fry
until crisp and golden brown, approximately 45 seconds.
- Drain well and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
Yield: 6 servings
Cajeta is a type of Mexican caramel sauce and can be found in most Mexican markets.
Baked plantains are often available in Mexican or Latin American
markets. Raw plantains can be substituted; just make sure they are completely cooked.
Source: Executive chef Pepe Lopez, El Torito Mexican restaurants