El Torito Grill Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup
- 3 pounds tomatoes
- 1 ounce chicken chorizo
- 1 chile poblano, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large clove garlic, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- White pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted corn kernels
- Cilantro sprigs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 large Haas avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno juice
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 Serrano chile, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup water, about
- Soup: Scorch tomatoes over charcoal grill, preferably over mesquite. Cool slightly.
- Cook chorizo in large saucepan. Add chile, onion, oregano and garlic and sauté
until onion is transparent.
- Add unpeeled tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to boil.
Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add cream, salt, white pepper and cayenne.
- Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add corn and stir
to heat. Ladle into heated bowls.
- Using separate squeeze bottles, drizzle Crema
Fresca and Avocado Sauce over soup, or dollop over soup, if desired. Garnish with
- Crema Fresca: In bowl mix sour cream and half and half thoroughly. Pour into
squeeze bottles, if desired.
- Avocado Sauce: Place avocado, jalapeno juice, cilantro, onion, Serrano chile,
garlic, salt and water in blender container and blend until thick liquid that can
be squeezed from bottle is formed. Add more water, if necessary.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Source: Lee Healy, public relations manager at El Torito Grill - Newport Beach,