El Torito Squash Blossom Rellenos
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
Blossoms and Cheese
- 6 baby zucchini blossoms
- 6 1/2-inch strips queso fresco cheese
- Batter: Whip egg whites until stiff and soft peaks form, approximately
3 minutes. Add flour to whipped egg whites and continue whipping until flour is
incorporated, approximately 30 seconds. Add egg yolks and mix just until yolks are
incorporated and batter is uniform in color, approximately 45 seconds.
- Blossoms and Cheese: Stuff zucchini blossoms with cheese strips.
- Dip stuffed blossoms in batter and deep fry at 350 degrees F for approximately
4 minutes or until golden brown, turning as needed.
- Remove from oil, drain well and hold hot for service or cover and cool.
- Reheat in microwave before serving.
- Serve topped with 1 ounce each of chipotle-tomato sauce.
Batter must be used immediately.
Source: El Torito Executive Chef Pepe Lopez