El Torito Sweet Corn Cake
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup Masa Harina
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whip butter and shortening in mixing bowl until fluffy and creamy.
- Add Masa Harina gradually and mix thoroughly.
- Add water gradually, mixing thoroughly.
- Blend corn kernels until coarsely chopped. Stir into masa mixture.
- Mix cornmeal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add butter-masa mixture; mix until blended. Pour masa mixture into an 8-inch greased
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F until corn cake is firm, 40
to 50 minutes.
- Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before cutting
Yield: 10 servings
Source: Los Angeles Times - El Torito Restaurant