El Tovar Lodge Blue Cornmeal Pancakes
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup blue or yellow cornmeal
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup egg whites, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Blend milk, sugar, baking powder, cornmeal and flour in large bowl. Make well
in center of dry ingredients. Add oil, egg whites and vanilla extract. Mix with
wire whisk until smooth.
- Pour by 1/4 cupsful on lightly greased griddle or nonstick
skillet and bake until browned underneath. Flip and bake on other side.
- Serve with honey, molasses or any syrup.
Each serving contains about: 489 calories; 235 mg sodium; 126 mg cholesterol;
29 grams fat; 49 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams protein; 0.18 gram fiber
Source: Los Angeles Times - February 1994 - El Tovar Lodge, South Rim, Grand