410 Diner Onion and Artichoke Soup
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 medium white onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons fresh garlic puree
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 8 artichoke hearts, very thinly sliced (canned or frozen)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the sliced onions, olive oil, garlic, thyme, pepper and salt together in a roasting pan. Roast the mixture for 30 minutes, or until onions are soft and beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and place in a large stockpot. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes, until onions are nicely browned and caramelized.
- Add wine and sprinkle flour over top; mix well.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a simmer, whisking in a clockwise direction until the soup has
thickened to the desired consistency. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add sliced artichokes and green onions.
- Serve hot.
Source: 410 Diner, San Antonio, Texas - San Antonio Express-News 09/04/2002