Hot and Hot Fish Club Venison Cassoulette
- 1 pound venison sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 bone rack of venison loin chop
- 5 each duck leg and thigh (browned) and split
- 5 each whole quail (browned) and split
- 1/2 pound picked ham hock meat
- 5 cups cooked white beans
- 3 cups medium size chopped carrots, celery, onion-equal parts, cooked
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups herb bread crumbs (see recipe)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups beef stock
- 12-inch cast iron skillet
- Combine beans, stock, cooked vegetables, parsley, balsamic vinegar and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange sausage, duck leg, quail and ham hock evenly on bottom of skillet.
- Pour beans over meat.
- Spread bread crumbs evenly over beans.
- Place on stove and bring to a simmer on high heat.
- Put in oven and bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees F or until top of bread crumbs are golden brown.
- While baking, sear the venison loin and roast in oven until rare to medium rare,
approximately 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Remove and hold in warm spot.
- Spoon mix onto a plate, trying to keep crumbs on
top and intact, while scooping all meat at the bottom.
- Slice loin and place on top and serve immediately.
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 3/8/2002 11:08 pm.
Source: wbrc.com - as prepared by Chef Chris Hastings, Hot and Hot Fish Club