Hotel Galvez Shrimp Creole
- 2 pounds bacon, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large green bell peppers, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch celery, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 (46 ounce can tomato juice
- 1 pint water
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 5 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined (if frozen, thaw)
- 1 pound cooked rice
- Sauté bacon until crisp. Do not drain.
- Add vegetables and sauté until soft.
- Add tomato puree, juice, water and spices. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are done (about 10 to 12 minutes).
- Serve over bed of rice.
Source: Hotel Galvez, Galveston, Texas