Houlihan's Baked Potato Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes
- 1/4 pound butter
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken base
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prick washed potatoes and bake until a fork pierces to the center easily.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to fully cool.
- Remove skin and cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and sauté over low heat for 10 minutes
or until onions are translucent. Don't allow onions to burn.
- Add flour to onions and butter and cook 4 - 5 minutes, stirring well until flour
- In a separate container, combine water, chicken base, potato flakes and seasonings.
Stir or whisk thoroughly to eliminate lumps.
- Add slowly to onion mixture, stirring constantly so no lumps form.
- Increase to medium heat and continue cooking until
the soup begins to gently simmer.
- Add milk and cream, stirring until smooth and lightly thickened. Simmer for 15
minutes. Do not boil. Soup should just simmer lightly.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Top each serving with grated Cheddar cheese, sliced scallions and bacon pieces.
Serving size: 8
Source: The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette