- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
- 6 large button mushrooms
- 1 cup bleached flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cheese Filling: Combine cream cheese, Cheddar cheese and dressing mix.
- Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mushrooms: Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
- When cheese has rested, use a teaspoon to fill mushroom caps.
- Combine flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour milk into another small bowl.
- Dip mushroom first into milk and then into flour. Do this twice.
- Put coated mushroom into the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- When mushrooms are frozen, heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Use enough oil to cover mushrooms
- Fry for 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
- Drain. Let sit for a couple of minutes before serving.
Yield: 4 servings