House of Blues Bayou Voodoo Smothered Chicken
- 10 ounces flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound butter, melted
- 2 pounds chopped onion
- 1 pound chopped celery
- 1 pound chopped red bell pepper
- 1 pound chopped green bell pepper
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 ounces minced garlic
- 2 1/2 ounces flour
- 4 cups red wine (chef suggests Burgundy wine)
- 2 quarts dark beer
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- 4 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup Louisiana Seasoning
- Brown Roux: Place oil in a heavy stock pot and heat until it smokes. Slowly whisk
in flour, 2 cups at a time, mixing well. Cook in oven at 350 degrees F for about
2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Roux is done when chocolate brown color is achieved.
Allow to cool.
- Chicken: In a large skillet or sauté pan, add butter.
- Put onion, celery, red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms in pan and sauté.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add flour and stir; cook for 1 minute.
- Add red wine and reduce until thick.
- Add dark beer, water, beef base, chicken base and bring to a boil.
- Add liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and Louisiana seasoning.
- Whip some roux into the sauce. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Put some pre-made rice on a plate, put cooked chicken breast on top of rice and ladle voodoo sauce over the chicken and rice.
Yield: 1 pound Roux; 4 servings
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine May 7, 2001.
Source: Posted By: Gayle Date: Thursday, 14 December 2000, at 9:44 am - from
Rudy2 September 27, 2000 08:43am - Chef Doug Grove - House of Blues, Myrtle Beach,
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes