Houston's Canadian Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup carrots, 1/8-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup celery, 1/8-inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 pounds Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
- Diced tomatoes or diced jalapeno chiles (for garnish)
- Melt the margarine in a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, onions and celery all at
once and sauté until soft but not brown.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Cook until mixture begins to turn a light-brown color.
- Over medium high heat, add the chicken broth a little at a time. Stir and continue
to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base if formed.
- Add half-and-half, being careful not to let it boil.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Just before serving add parsley.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes and jalapenos, if desired.
Houston's did not provide the amount of flour needed for the roux in
this recipe. I would probably add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour.
Source: Houston's Restaurant