Hummingbird Bakery Peach Meringue Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups orange juice
- 4 extra-large eggs, separated
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar for meringue
- 2 cups extra heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups chopped peaches
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Sliced peaches for decoration
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix orange juice, egg yolks. Beat on medium speed
- Pour into greased and floured 9-inch pans; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, begin beating egg whites.
- When the whites begin to foam, add cream of tartar.
- Gradually beat in 1 cup of sugar, a little at a time, on high until
stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread the meringue evenly over cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
- Beat cream until it becomes thick.
- Add 1 cup confectioners' sugar and beat until stiff. (DO NOT over-beat because you will get butter).
- Fold in the 2 cups chopped sweetened peaches.
- Loosen edges of cakes from pans with knife. Using two large spatulas,
carefully remove cake to serving plate, meringue side up.
- Carefully spread with about 1/2 of cream mixture.
- Arrange sliced peaches over cream mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
Source: Hummingbird Bakery, Thorsby, Alabama