La Fogata Grilled Peppers and Chicken
The attractive presentation of this off-the-menu dish is what has earned La Fogata
its reputation for "nouvelle cuisine." This is a low-calorie, particularly
if served with a light tomato sauce. Be sure to note the oven method at the end
of the recipe if you do not have an indoor or outdoor grill.
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 chicken breast (single)
- Garlic salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 large poblano chiles
- 2 ounces Monterey jack or mild Texas goat cheese, cut into small pieces
- Chicken stock
- Squeeze lime juice over the chicken breast.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over a moderate flame, brushing both sides with oil. When cooked and tender, about
12 to 15 minutes, remove the skin and shred the meat. Set aside. Or, bake in a 350
degrees F oven, seasoning in the same way, for 15 minutes.
- Do not peel the peppers at this time. Wash them and then, using a sharp knife,
make a circular cut to remove the stem in one piece, and set it aside. Remove the
seeds and veins.
- Stuff the prepared peppers with a combination of chicken and cheese, moistened
with a scant amount of chicken stock. If using an open grill (indoor or outdoor),
return the stuffed peppers to the grill and cook on both sides until the peel is
charred. Take care not to burn. Remove, pulling away the peel, and then replace
the top for garnish.
- Serve with sour cream or a light tomato salsa. Or note the creamy cheese sauce
in the variation.
Yield: 2 servings
Variation: Serve this dish with a sauce of sour cream and cheeses. In a small
skillet over medium-low heat, stir together 3 1/2 ounces cream cheese and 2 tablespoons
grated Parmesan cheese until melted. Add 1/2 cup sour cream and continue cooking
just long enough to heat through. Spoon over the peppers and, if desired, top with
chopped pecans, lightly sautéed in butter.
Source: La Fogata, San Antonio, Texas
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.