This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
La Fonda on Main Avocado Poblano Soup
- 1 pound poblano chiles, washed, seeded and coarsely chopped (skin on)
- 2 carrots, washed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 gallon (8 cups) fresh chicken stock
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled (pebbly-skinned brown-black Haas are preferred)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Corn tortillas, cut in strips and fried in hot oil, for garnish
- In a large stock pot, sauté poblanos, carrots and onion in canola oil over medium
heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add flour, mix well and sauté for 5 more minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and mix well. Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add avocado. Puree with wand blender or in batches in blender.
- Add cilantro and cream, and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Top with fried corn tortilla strips.
Yield: about 10 servings
Source: San Antonio Express-News - La Fonda on Main restaurant, San Antonio,