La Fonda on Main Avocado Poblano Soup
- 1 pound poblano chiles, washed, seeded and coarsely chopped (skin on)
- 2 carrots,
washed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
gallon (8 cups) fresh chicken stock
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled (pebbly-skinned
brown-black Haas are preferred)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Corn tortillas,
cut in strips and fried in hot oil, for garnish
- In a large stock pot, sauté poblanos, carrots and onion in canola oil over medium
heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add flour, mix well and sauté
for 5 more minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and mix well. Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
from heat and add avocado. Puree with wand blender or in batches in blender.
cilantro and cream, and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Top with fried corn tortilla strips.
Makes about 10 servings.
Source: San Antonio Express-News - La Fonda on Main restaurant, San Antonio,