La Madeleine Ham and Potato Gratin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3/4 pound ham, diced into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Combine the cream, half-and-half, garlic, salt and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Add the sliced potatoes and stir well to completely coat them with the cream mixture.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Gently stir in the diced ham. Do not let the potatoes boil. When the potatoes
are tender, adjust the seasonings and pour into a 10 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake in the center of a preheated 425 degree F oven until golden
on top and the potatoes are completely tender, about 20 minutes.
Source: Adapted from Les Recettes de la Saison, by la Madeleine chefs and compiled
by Susan Hermann Loomis