La Madeleine Mixed Berry Tart
Yield: 8 servings
Almond Tart Dough
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal (1/2 cup sliced almonds and 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, finely ground)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) Almond Tart Shell
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 cup red currant jelly
Almond Tart Dough
- Combine butter, sugar, egg, salt and vanilla extract until blended.
- Sift the flour and mix with almond meal. Add to the butter mixture. Do not over-mix; stop when dough is well combined. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight, or at least 2 hours before use.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out 1/2 at a time on well floured surface to desired size. Place the dough on a well greased tart pan, prick the bottom of the shell. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix 1/4 sugar to the milk in a sauce pan, bring to boil stirring occasionally.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine remaining sugar with cornstarch and egg yolks, mix well with a whisk. Once the milk is boiling pour 1/4 of the milk into egg mixture to temper, stirring constantly. Pour the egg mixture into the rest of the milk and return to the heat, stirring until the cream thickens and comes to a complete boil. Remove from the heat, add the butter and vanilla, stir until the butter completely melts.
- Pour the cream into a shallow bowl, cover with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature. If not using immediately, store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Spread the cold cream into bottom of tart shell and cover with berries, arranged in concentric circles.
- Melt the red currant jelly over medium heat. When liquefied, carefully brush over fruit using pastry brush.
- Serve immediately.