La Madeleine Tomato Basil Soup
- 4 cups tomatoes (8 to 10), peeled, cored and chopped, or 4 cups whole tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups unsalted tomato juice
- 12 to 14 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sweet unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Combine tomatoes and juice in saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium low heat.
- Cool slightly, then place in blender.
- Add basil and process to puree. This will have to be done in batches.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Add butter and cream.
- Stir over low heat until butter and cream are incorporated.
- Stir in salt and pepper before serving.