La Olla Restaurant & Bar
Oaxacan String Cheese in Green Salsa
(Quesillo en Salsa Verde)
You can use more or less sugar, depending on the acidity of the tomatillos.
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed
- 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, halved, seeded
- 1/3 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon (about) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds queso Oaxaca, cut into 6 portions
- Warm corn tortillas
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
tomatillos and jalapeno chile and cook until tomatillos are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer tomatillos and chile to blender.
- Add 1/2 cup cooking
liquid, cilantro and garlic.
- Puree until sauce is almost smooth.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning
to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatillo sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer
until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in broth, then
sugar; season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Heat heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add cheese and cook until slightly
browned, about 1 minute per side.
- Bring tomatillo sauce to simmer.
- Add cheese to
sauce and cook until cheese begins to melt, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer cheese with sauce to shallow platter or divide cheese and sauce among
6 individual gratin dishes.
- Serve with tortillas.
Source: La Olla Restaurant & Bar, Oaxaca, Mexico - Bon Appetit, May 2003