Lake Elmo Inn Raspberry Fudge Torte
- 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup vegetable
- 14 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 6 cups whipped cream
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup soft fudge topping (like Smucker's)
- 4 cups fresh raspberries, saving 24-28 for rosettes
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Cake: Mix together the water and cocoa and cool slightly.
- Whip the oil, egg yolks, and vanilla extract into the cocoa mixture
- Sift the flour, sugar, and baking powder, and add to the egg mixture, mixing
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until firm peaks form.
- Fold the flour/egg
mixture into the firm peaks.
- Grease the bottoms of two 10-inch springform pans and pour in the final mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, until set. Cool.
- Frosting: In a chilled bowl, whip the whipped cream, powdered sugar and vanilla
extract until stiff.
- Assembling: Cut the cakes in 3 layers and spread the fudge topping on one layer
of each cake.
- Sprinkle with a quarter of the raspberries and cover with a thin layer
of the whipped cream mixture.
- Repeat with next layer and stack all 3 layers.
- Frost the top and sides.
- Smooth top and section into 12 or 14 pieces.
- Press chocolate
shavings onto the cake sides (optional).
- Garnish each slice with one raspberry,
and if you have a pastry bag, a rosette of whipped cream.
- Chill for at least 2-3
- Serve with raspberry puree or chocolate sauce.
Makes 2 cakes.
Source: Lake Elmo Inn - Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota