Lazarus Hawaiian Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup Lazarus Chicken Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vinegar, heated
- 1/4 cup egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of white pepper
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 drop hot pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup egg yolks *
- 3 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- Salad: Lightly toss the chicken, pineapple, dates, celery and almonds until thoroughly
mixed. Chill well.
- Chicken Salad Dressing: Combine 1 part Boiled Dressing to 3 parts
- Add dressing to salad just before serving.
- Serve on crisp lettuce leaves.
- Boiled Dressing: Thoroughly mix flour, paprika, sugar, mustard and salt. Pour
milk into a double boiler.
- Add dry mixture and cook until flour is thoroughly cooked.
- Add heated vinegar and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and add
a little of the hot mixture to the yolks (to avoid curdling), return the yolks to
the hot mixture and cook for 10 minutes longer. Chill.
- Mayonnaise: Combine salt, mustard, paprika, sugar and white pepper.
- In another bowl, combine vinegars, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and hot
- Mix the dry and liquid mixtures.
- Beat egg yolks until light and creamy.
- Add vinegar mixture and oil alternately
to beaten egg yolks very slowly at first until an emulsion is started.
- Beat to a thick, creamy consistency.
Yield: 6 servings; 1 quart Boiled Dressing; 1 quart Mayonnaise
*: Raw eggs should not be served to children, to the elderly
and infirm and to people who have depressed immune systems. Use pasteurized egg
yolks, either dried or liquid, as a substitute to ensure food safety.
Source: Columbus Dispatch - Wednesday, September 6, 2000
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes