This basic fajita recipe is from the Johnson family who owns the Macayo chain.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon white pepper
- 1/4 lime, squeezed
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable
- 1 pound beef skirt (flank steak) or chicken breast,
sliced into 1/4 x 3-inch long strips
- 1 large whole onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup
olive oil or chili oil
Garnishes and Toppings
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup salsa
- 6 lime wedges
- Avocado chunks
- 1 can whole green chiles, chopped
- Tomatoes, sliced into strips
- Shredded lettuce
- Jalapeno peppers
- Marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together all Marinade ingredients. Put meat
in marinade and set aside for at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Set tortillas in oven for 1 to 3 minutes, to warm. Remove
and put into a covered basket.
- Fajitas: Heat a large skillet and add olive oil. Add marinated meat and onion
and sauté until onion becomes translucent.
- Place cooked meat in a large bowl or
platter and serve with tortillas, toppings and garnishes.
- For each fajita, fill a tortilla with meat and desired amounts of garnishes and
toppings and roll up like a burrito.
- Serve with refried beans, black beans or Spanish
Yields 4 to 6 servings.
Variations: For spicier marinade, add cayenne pepper or crushed dry red chili
pepper. Instead of lime juice, try pineapple juice, papaya juice, beer, wine or