Machine Shed Restaurant Baked Potato Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup uncooked bacon, finely
- 1 jumbo onion, diced
- 1/4 bunch celery, diced
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 quart water
- 4 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 bunch freshly chopped parsley
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Shredded Colby
cheese, fried bacon bits and/or chopped green onions for garnish
- In large pot, boil potatoes in water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In large
heavy pot, sauté bacon, onion and celery over medium-high heat until celery is tender,
about 5 minutes.
- Remove mixture from pot, drain bacon grease and return mixture to pot. Add milk,
water, base, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot,
about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let mixture boil.
- In small, heavy saucepan melt margarine. Add flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low
heat until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux.
- While constantly
stirring soup, add roux slowly until soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, reserved potatoes, and cream.
- Garnish with cheese, bacon bits,
onions or all three.
- Serve hot.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Posted by JBic01 at Recipe Goldmine 5/13/02 11:53:46 am.