Mader's Black Forest Torte
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole eggs (about 8 to 10 large)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- Vanilla extract, to taste
- Kirschwasser, to taste (German cherry brandy)
(21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 3 half-pints whipped topping or sweetened
- whipped cream to measure at least 4 cups
- 1 (17 ounce) can dark-sweet cherries,
- Chocolate shavings
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in bowl. Mix well.
- Add eggs,
sugar, milk, shortening and vanilla. Whip on high speed 10 minutes.
- Pour into 2
greased 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes or until cake
springs back when touched.
- Cool cake layers, then slice each layer into 2 layers using serrated knife.
each layer with some of kirschwasser.
- Put one layer on serving platter. Using a large pastry bag fitted with a large
star tip, pipe circle of cream around circumference of cake layer.
- Make circle of
cherry filling inside circle of cream. Continue alternating circles until layer
- Top with remaining cake layers, covering each in same manner.
entire cake with cream.
- With the same pastry bag, make 16 rosettes out of the remaining cream.
- Put cherry
in center of each rosette, then sprinkle top and sides of cake with chocolate shavings.
Makes about 12 servings.
Source: Mader's German Restaurant — Milwaukee, Wisconsin