Mader's Hungarian Goulash
- 2 pounds onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup oil or 5 ounces lard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 (2 pound) beef chuck, cut in 2-inch cubes
- 1 pint beef stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Rind of half a lemon, finely
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- Water to
- In large, heavy pot, fry onions in hot oil until golden brown, about 10 to 15
- Add paprika and stir well.
- Add meat, cover and let meat brown lightly,
- Add stock, tomato paste, salt and vinegar.
- With mortar and pestle, or flat part of heavy knife, mash lemon rind with garlic
and caraway seeds. Add to meat mixture.
- Cover saucepan and simmer very gently about 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
Add additional water in small quantities if needed.
- Serve with boiled potatoes,
noodles or dumplings and a fresh, crisp roll.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Source: Mader's Restaurant - Milwaukee, Wisconsin