Magnolia Bakery Butterscotch
Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 /2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12 x 18-inch jellyroll pan.
- To prepare the cream cheese filling: In a medium-size bowl, beat cream cheese
and sugar until smooth.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Add flour and beat until incorporated. Set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan over low heat, melt butterscotch chips and the butter,
stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Remove from heat and beat in brown sugar until well blended.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat eggs one at a time into the butterscotch mixture. Add vanilla extract. Add
dry ingredients, beating until well combined. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Drop the cream cheese mixture by teaspoonsful over the batter.
- Using a small knife, swirl the cream cheese mixture by teaspoonsful over the batter.
- Using a small knife, swirl the cream cheese into the batter, forming a decorative pattern.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of pan comes
out with moist crumbs attached. Do not over-bake.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, or overnight, before cutting and serving.
Makes 24 (3-inch) brownies.
Source: The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook