Marshall Field Frango Mint
Chocolate Mousse with Brandy
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 4 ounces Frango mint chocolates
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoon) brandy
- Chop Frango mint chocolates and melt.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in saucepan and cook until sugar is dissolved and mixture is a little syrupy.
- Combine gelatin and 1 tablespoon water. Add to hot syrup. Pour syrup slowly into melted Frango mint chocolates, stirring briskly.
- Return chocolate mixture to pan.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, to mixture in pan. Heat gently, stirring constantly, for about one minute.
- Remove pan from heat. Cool mixture; add brandy.
- Fold in egg whites that have been beaten to soft peaks.
- Whip cream. Fold into mixture.
- Chill until mousse is slightly firm.
- Serve chilled. Spoon into sherbet dish.
- Garnish each serving with 1 teaspoon whipped cream and 1 teaspoon grated Frango mint chocolates or 1/2 teaspoon Frango mint liqueur.