Marshall Field Meatloaf with Red Pepper Sauce
- 4 ounces garlic-flavored salad croutons
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground round steak
- 1 1/2 cups julienned fresh spinach leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, halved
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, diced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Finely crush croutons and combine with broth in small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Mix in pesto, pine nuts, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper. Add meat, spinach, cooked onion and crouton mixture. Mix well.
- Place mixture in bread pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Remove from pan and slice. Serve topped with sauce.
- Rub saucepan with garlic. Discard clove.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add flour and stir until blended. Stir in beef broth. Stirring constantly, cook sauce until it comes to boil. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat, then stir.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet. Add bell pepper and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add to reserved brown sauce. Adjust seasonings as needed and heat through.