Mimi's Cafe Corn Chowder
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, large dice
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 cups raw potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart Half-and-Half
- On medium heat, melt butter and simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown.
- Add water, potato, corn and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.
- Whisk the flour into 1 cup of the half and half and stir into the soup. Add the remaining 3 cups of half and half. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency.
- Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Correct the consistency, if needed. To make the soup thinner, add a little milk. To make the soup thicker, simmer another 5 to 10 minutes.
Posted by liz at Recipe Goldmine - May 15, 2001.
Source: Mimi's Cafe - Recipes