Miss Mary Bobo's Black-Eyed Pea and Rice Salad
Yield: 12 (1/2 cup) servings.
- 3 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook black-eyed peas and rice in boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; rinse with cold running water. Drain well; place in large bowl.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove bacon from skillet; drain on paper towels.
- Add onion to bacon drippings in skillet; cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic; cook an additional 1 minutes. Stir in vinegar and sugar. Cook for 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add onion mixture to black-eyed peas and rice.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except bacon.
- Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, top with bacon.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine - May 8, 2001.
Source: newschannel5.com - Lynne Tolley/Miss Mary Bobo's Friday, May 4, 2001 - Recipe #2707