Monti's la Casa Vieja Roman Bread
This bread is served with every meal at Monti's La Casa Vieja in Tempe, Arizona.
This is a bona fide recipe.
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, finely crushed
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Combine sugar, yeast and lukewarm water, stirring to dissolve yeast.
- Stir in the flour, a cup at a time, then add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and the onion. Mix
well, then knead on a lightly floured board until smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled
bowl and let rise until doubled, covered with a clean linen towel.
- When doubled, punch down again. Flatten out dough on an oiled cookie sheet. When
an even 1-inch thick across, pat the top of the dough lightly with vegetable oil.
- Let dough rise again until doubled.
- Sprinkle with remaining salt and the rosemary.
- Bake in oven, preheated to 400 degrees F, for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.