- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- Place the sugar in a small skillet over medium high heat and stir constantly until it liquefies. Allow the sugar to boil and turn a walnut brown color, Watch carefully because it will burn quickly!!
- Pour the caramelized sugar into the bottom of a 9 inch flan pan or soufflé dish (or Pyrex casserole dish) and, working quickly, spread it evenly with a rubber spatula over the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the eggs, yolks, vanilla extract, milks, and cream cheese in a blender or food processor and process for at least 5 minutes. (Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to blend this in two batches.)
- Pour the mixture into the flan pan and place in a baking pan in the center of the oven. Pour boiling water halfway up the sides of the pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Watch carefully and cover the flan with foil if the top seems to be getting too brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool to room temperature, then cut around the edges and invert onto a deep sided serving plate.
- Serve each piece with some of the caramel sauce.
The flan can be made up to 3 days in advance before serving and kept covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Leave it in the pan until ready to serve.
Ninfa's, Houston, Texas