Nonya Sambal Sauce
Use this chile sauce with shrimp satay or grilled fish and vegetables.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup seeded dried hot red chiles
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced dried shrimp (or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste)
- 1/4 cup minced seeded fresh hot red chiles
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons liquid tamarind concentrate or lime juice
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soak chiles in hot water until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Whirl mixture in blender until smooth.
- In a 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir red bell pepper, onion, garlic,
shrimp and hot chiles in vegetable oil until vegetables are limp - about 3 minutes.
- Stir in dried chile mixture, tamarind concentrate, brown sugar and salt; cook
2 to 3 more minutes.
Yield: 1 cup
Source: Chef Tony Pat, Nonya, Pasadena, California - Sunset magazine, June 2002