Oceana Fava Bean Succotash
- 3 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Fill a bowl with water and ice. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add favas
to boiling water and blanch for 45 seconds to 2 minutes depending on their size.
Drain beans and transfer them immediately to ice bath; drain well. To peel, use
a fingernail to make a slit in the skin, then squeeze beans out into a bowl.
- Break corn cobs in half. Stand each half on cutting board, flat end down, and
slice off kernels with a sharp knife.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add shallots
and sauté until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for
1 minute longer. Add cream, increase heat, and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat
and season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Add
corn kernels and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring. Add fava beans, cream and
shallot mixture, and parsley and bring to a simmer. Cook until cream has thickened
slightly, about 1 minute. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 7/1/01 9:00:30 pm.
Source: New York Times - adapted from Oceana