Oceana Restaurant Moonen's Cod-Wich
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup very cold beer
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 (5-inch) cod fillets
- 1/2 cup chopped cornichons
- 1/4 cup chopped capers
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 heaping tablespoons dill
- 4 heaping tablespoons chives
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Beer Batter: In a large combine all the ingredients together and let sit
for 1 hour covered.
- Fish: Heat oil in a high sided sauté pan to about 350 degrees F.
- Pat dry the cod fillets and coat evenly with the beer batter. Fry fillets in the hot oil until
golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with a generous amount of tartar sauce.
- Tartar Sauce: Using a food processor fitted with the sharp blade, add cornichons,
capers, and shallots, to the work bowl. Process for a few seconds just to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, herbs, lemon juice, and pepper, and process for 8 seconds
to well. Open the pour spout, and with the motor running, slowly add the oil in
- Remove tartar sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate for 24 hours
before using to allow flavors to develop.
Makes 3 cups.
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 6/19/01 9:20:59 pm.
Source: Recipe courtesy Rick Moonen, Oceana Restaurant, New York City