Old Bull Tavern Butterscotch Pudding
Yield: 7 to 8 servings
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce Scotch whiskey
- Combine brown sugar, salt, and water in heavy-bottom pot and cook over medium heat until a deep caramel color, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Combine heavy cream and milk, and then add to caramel mixture. Cook an additional 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Whip egg yolks, eggs, and cornstarch together in a stainless-steel bowl until smooth. Then slowly add about half of caramel to egg mixture in stainless bowl while whipping. After this is well combined, add this mixture to remaining caramel in pot. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and add butter and Scotch while mixture is still warm.
- Pour into desired serving bowls and chill in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, top with whipped cream, your favorite caramel sauce and a sprinkle of flaked sea salt, if desired.
Recipe from: John Marshall, Chef/Owner, Old Bull Tavern, Beaufort, South Carolina