Old Louisville Inn Strawberry
Sour Cream Popovers
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar plus some for coating
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 quart frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice (optional)
- To make the popovers: Butter 6 popover cups and sprinkle with sugar.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Beat eggs until foamy, then combine with sour cream in a bowl.
- Sift flour into a separate bowl. Add sugar and salt and stir again into bowl.
Add liquid from first bowl and beat until smooth. Divide butter among popover cups.
Place on a cookie sheet if your cups are not attached, and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake 20 minutes more.
- To serve, place a split-open popover on a small plate and top with strawberry
- Strawberry Sauce: Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan and stir until completely
mixed. Add berries and set aside for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add liqueur and heat over medium flame until mixture boils, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, spoon over popovers and serve.
Source: Marianne Lesher, Old Louisville Inn, Louisville, Kentucky
If you have extra sauce, serve it over other breakfast breads, such as waffles
and French toast, or with ice cream.