Olive Garden Neapolitan Ziti
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet/hot Italian link sausage
- 1 1/3 cups green bell pepper in 1 x 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound ziti pasta, cooked
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Parsley bouquets
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style or plum tomatoes with juice
- 10 3/4 ounces tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (packed)
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bake or pan-fry the sausages until fully cooked, drain, cool.
- Halve the sausages and cut the split sausages into 1/2-inch slices.
- Sauté the bell peppers in olive oil over moderate heat only until their crispness is lost, but peppers are not soft.
- In a heavy saucepan add the tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, olive oil and fresh basil and bring to a light simmer on moderate heat.
- Add the sautéed pepper strips and cooked sausage and heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve the pasta, topped with the sausage, peppers and salsa marinara and garnish each plate with a parsley bouquet.
- Pass the Parmesan.
Posted by dizzybreez at Recipe Goldmine May 4, 2001.
Source: Olive Garden Restaurants - Southern U.S. Cuisine (Copycat/Restaurant Collection) at southernfood.about.com