Olive Garden Spaghetti Carbonara
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces mushrooms with stems, sliced 1/4 inch
- 6 tablespoons finely-minced shallots
- 1/4 cup rendered bacon drippings or olive oil
- 24 slices thick bacon, cooked, and sliced 1/2 inch strips
- 2 pounds spaghetti, cooked
- 2 teaspoons finely-chopped parsley
- 3 grinds black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Light Bechamel Sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Add the reserved bacon drippings or the olive oil to a heavy skillet over medium heat until fragrant, then add the mushrooms and shallots and sauté until they are golden, but not brown. Add the bacon strips, stir well and turn off the heat.
- Add the warm spaghetti and blend all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Add the warm bechamel sauce, pepper, parsley and salt and blend thoroughly.
- Serve immediately with Parmesan.
- Sauce: In a heavy non-aluminum pot, melt butter and add flour and cook on moderate heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Do not allow the roux to color more than blond.
- Add milk (no skim or low-fat) and bring to just below the boiling point.
- Remove from heat immediately and keep warm (180 degrees F).
Posted by dizzybreez at Recipe Goldmine May 4, 2001.
Source: Olive Garden Restaurants