Opryland Hotel Jack and Black Bean Chili
- 1 pound dry black beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 3 chipotle peppers
- 3 pasilla or ancho peppers
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
- 1 to 2 milk chocolate bars
- Split and remove seeds from dried peppers. Finely chop dried peppers.
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bell pepper, onion and garlic in hot oil
- Stir in cumin, oregano and salt. Cook together one minute more.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth, Jack Daniel's, chile peppers, and chocolate; bring to
a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally until beans
- To thicken chili, mash beans lightly before serving.
- Ladle chili into serving bowls and garnish with sour cream, avocado, cheese and/or tortilla chips.
Serves 6 to 8.
To make black bean dip, prepare as directed above except continue to simmer uncovered
until thick. Puree chili in food processor. Top with jack cheese.
Serve hot with tortilla chips.
Source: Mandy Palik, Opryland Hotel