Rainbow Room Baked Alaska
- 1/4 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 12 ounces egg whites
- 6 plastic containers ( approximately 3 inches high x 5 inches wide)
- White sponge cake (use any standard recipe)
- 1/4 cup praline ice cream **
- 1/4 cup raspberry sorbet **
- 3/4 cup chocolate chip ice cream **
- 2 meringue disks
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces raspberries
- 4 ounces blueberries
- 8 ounces strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup brandy
- Dacquoise: Sift nuts with 3/4 cup sugar. Hold aside. Whip egg whites until
foamy. Fold in nut mixture by hand. Pipe out circles onto prepared parchment paper
(trace outline of container). Bake in 250 degrees F oven until dry (around 30 minutes).
- Cake Mold: Place a circle of sponge cake cut to fit bottom of plastic container.
Mound softened praline ice cream on top of it. Place meringue disk on top of ice
cream. Mound softened raspberry sorbet on top. Place second meringue disk on top
of sorbet. Mound softened chocolate ice cream on top. Finish with another circle
of sponge cake cut to fit the plastic container. Freeze 12 hours in container.
- Remove frozen cake mold by turning it upside down on plate.
- Meringue: Whip egg whites with sugar until stiff. Place meringue in a pastry
bag with a number 4 star tip. Cover cake with meringue. Freeze cake for one hour.
- Bake cake in a preheated 500 degrees F oven for one minute (until lightly browned).
- Heat the brandy in small pot and ignite. Pour brandy over Baked Alaska and serve
with berries on the side.
Yield: 6 servings
*A small butter or margarine container may be used
** At The Rainbow Room, they make their own ice cream and sorbets, but any good
quality ice cream or sorbet may be used.
Source: Taste of Life Show #TL1A11 New York Ci - from Kurt Walrath, The Rainbow
Room, The G.E. Building, New York, New York
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.