As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fine-quality olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage meat, removed from casings and chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 (28 ounce) cans imported San Marzano Italian tomatoes, with juice, hand-crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 2 cups grated fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic
and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the beef and sauté for 5 minutes or until well
browned. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the sausage to
the saucepan and sauté until browned. Return beef to saucepan.
- Add the wine to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes or until it has evaporated.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Add salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring
occasionally, for about 2 hours or until thick and rich in flavor. If needed, add
more water, a quarter cup at a time. If sauce is fatty, either skim off the fat
or put a few layers of paper towel on the top to absorb the excess fat. (If you
have the time, refrigerate the sauce until the fat congeals on top; then simply
lift it off.)
- Put ricotta into a cheesecloth lined colander and allow it to drain in the refrigerator
for about 2 hours. Combine with egg yolks; blend well. This will keep the lasagna
from being watery.
- Add the noodles and remaining 2 tablespoons oil to a large, deep pot filled with
rapidly boiling salted water. Cook noodles until al dente. Drain well in a colander
and then run under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Put noodles,
in a single layer, on clean, damp kitchen towels. Cover with clean, damp towels.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Ladle a thin layer of meat sauce info a lasagna pan (12 x I8 x 2 inches or 14
x I0 x 3 inches), Cover with noodles, laid lengthwise, then cover noodles with a
layer of meat sauce, Spread a thin, smooth layer of ricotta over the meat sauce.
Sprinkle with grated mozzarella and Pecorino Romano. Continue layers of pasta, sauce,
and cheese, alternating the pasta )n opposite directions for each layer (lengthwise,
then crosswise, etc.). Finish with a layer of meat sauce covered with sliced mozzarella
and sprinkle with Pecorino Romano.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until cheese topping has melted
and lasagna is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before cutting into squares
Posted by artsycook at Recipe Goldmine May 4, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes