Robert's Restaurant Chili
- 3 tablespoons roast beef drippings, lard, vegetable shortening or butter
- 1 1/2 pounds good-quality hamburger
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (divided)
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, mashed
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste (optional)
- In medium-size sauté pan combine beef drippings, meat, 1/2 cup green bell pepper
and 3/4 cup onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink. Set
- In large, heavy bottom saucepan, combine liquid from kidney beans with garlic
powder, salt and pepper, tomatoes, tomato soup, water and chili powder, if using.
Simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, for about two hours.
- When done, add reserved meat mixture and simmer one hour.
- A few minutes before serving, add kidney beans and heat through.
Yield: about 12 servings
Source: Robert's Restaurant - Milwaukee, Wisconsin