Ruth's Chris Steakhouse Dutch Apple Pie
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 ounce orange liqueur
- 4 medium apples
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (9 to 10-inch) partially baked pie shell
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into wheels. Combine 1 1/2 cups of the water,
sugars, nutmeg, cinnamon and liqueur in large saucepan. Bring almost to a boil;
add apple and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add raisins. Cook for 2 minutes more or until apples are
no longer crisp, but not mushy.
- Mix cornstarch into remaining 1/4 cup water, and add to apple mixture. Continue
cooking, stirring until slightly thickened and clear.
- Pour into pie shell making a slight mound.
- For Crumb Topping, combine sugars, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon, mixing thoroughly.
- In another bowl, combine vanilla extract and butter, then add to first mixture.
Consistency should be moist but not wet, and dry but not powdery. Crumble on top
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until browned.
Source: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Beverly Hills, California